Geoffrey Alderman, DLitt, MA, DPhil
Education and Credentials
Doctor of Letters, 2006 – Lincoln College Oxford, England
Doctor of Philosophy, 1969 – Lincoln College Oxford, England
Bachelor of Arts in Modern History, 1965 – Lincoln College Oxford, England
Recent Professional Experience
University of Buckingham, Buckingham, England
Professor of Politics and Contemporary History / Sub-Dean of Humanities 2007- 19; now Professor Emeritus
Chair of the Humanities Learning and Teaching Committee 2007-18
- Created and implemented a bespoke teaching and learning strategy for the University's School of Humanities.
Chair of Quinquennial Reviews, School of Humanities 2013 and 2018
- That of 2013 led to greatly enhanced facilities for research in the School, and extra resources for School administration.
Nelson College London, London, England
Principal 2014 - Present
Deliver all academic programmes within budget and meet all requirements of all external stakeholders such as QAA, Pearson, Skills Funding Agency, Higher Education Funding Council for England, and Office for Students. Supervise Head of Academic Services, Head of Programme Delivery, the Director of Quality Assurance, and the Academic Managers, while reporting to the Board of Governance.
- Wholly reformed and updated the College's quality assurance and quality enhancement policies and procedures.
- Successfully led the College through multiple stakeholder inspections.
- Successfully led the College in obtaining OfS Registration at the [highest] "Approved (Fee Cap)" level.
- Doubled student enrolment since appointment in 2014 and improved student retention and progression measures.
- Achieved student retention rate well above NAO benchmark.
- Achieved student satisfaction rate (2019) of 98.4%
- Raised Teaching Excellence Framework rating (2019) from Bronze to Silver
- Entered into partnership with London Metropolitan University to deliver programmes at Levels 6 & 7
- Encouraged more academic and support staff to successfully apply for HEA accreditation.
- Created an Employers' Forum to advise on curriculum development
Early Professional Experience
America Intercontinental University, London, England
Senior Vice President / Academic Dean 2002 – 2006
Touro College and University, New York and California
Member of President's Cabinet and Executive / Vice-President for International Programs / Dean of the Liberal Arts and Sciences College (Kew Garden Hills) / Professor of European and Jewish Studies 1999 - 2002
Middlesex University, London, England
Pro Vice-Chancellor (Quality & Standards) / Head, Academic Development and Quality Assurance Unit 1994 - 1999
University of London, London, England
Dean of Arts / Chairman of Academic Council / Lecturer / Reader in Politics and Tenured Professor of Politics and Contemporary History 1972 - 1994
University of Reading, Reading, England
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in History& Politics 1970 – 1972
University College Swansea, Swansea, Wales
Temporary Lecturer in Politics 1969 – 1970
University College London, London, England
Research Assistant in Modern History 1968 – 1969
Selected Professional Activities & Memberships
Fellow, Higher education academy (2016 – Present)
School Appeals and Exclusions Panel Member, LONDON BOROUGH OF BARNET (2011 – 2017)
Visiting Fellow, OXFORD CENTRE FOR HIGHER EDUCATION POLICY STUDIES (2010 – Present)
Member / Fellow, CHARTERED MANAGEMENT INSTITUTE (1998 – Present)
Fellow, INSTITUTE OF CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (1998 – Present)
Governor / Audit Committee Chair / Chair, Academic Standards and Performance Committee, NEWHAM COLLEGE OF FURTHER EDUCATION (1998 – 1999)
Member, Chartered QUALITY institute (1995 – Present)
Life Fellow, ROYAL SOCIETY FOR ARTS (1991 – Present)
Fellow / Emeritus Fellow, ROYAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY (1971 – Present)
Selected Community Service
British Election Analyst, BBC Three Counties Radio (2017 & 2019)
Member / Vice-Chair / Chair , BARNET PENSION FUND BOARD (2015 - Present)
Member, Race Independent Advisory Group, METROPOLITAN POLICE (2013 – Present)
Trustee / Chair, HUNTLEIGH FOUNDATION (1999 – 2003)
Trustee& Director, MAURICE FREEDMAN RESEARCH TRUST LTD (2008 – Present)
Chaim Bermant Prize for Journalism (2011)
Professor Geoffrey Alderman’s full CV is available on request.